Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Beauty Within



















































































































Images like these are what reminds me that I am in one of the most unique and amazing places on earth.


There are certain times in my life when I have truly had my breath taken away from me in awe and wonder as I gaze upon something so beautiful, it tugs at your heartstrings with wanting to both be there in solitude and to share it with everyone you know. Since I started coming here, the changes in the ice have not created Ice Caves for some time, and so they haven't existed for several years. This season they are back at the edge of the Erebus Glacial Tongue, and since I help coordinate all the recreational trips to this location, I was a part of a training trip there this past Sunday to check out the area.



In the photos I took above, you can see the entrance to the cave is a short slide down through that small tunnel in the side of the glacier edge and at the end of that slide is the cave which you can see people standing in. I took several photos, and posted some of the more amazing ones here. I hope that you can glimpse what I saw through these and experience some of what I felt while I was standing in there.

5 comments:

andrea said...

Gorgeous! I'm jealous--thanks for sharing the photos!

John & Britta said...

Wow! Beautiful pictures.

Anonymous said...

Stunning -- you are definitely able to experience God's amazing creations in a way a small percentage of this earth can!

brookelmt said...

That is incredible! I am so glad I can experience the ice vicariously since I doubt I will ever make it on my own.

Anonymous said...

jeremy and i are seriously jealous! how's the season going? getting ready for some good thanksgiving food? miss you!
love sue