Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Weather Report


One of the first questions I get asked when people find out where I work is- "How cold is it there?" The simple answer is usually, "Well, not as cold as you'd think." In a land of ice and snow, I can see why people expect it to be freezing here all the time, which I thought would be the case too when I first came down here. But really, the weather here is nicer than it is back home during the winter, granted it is the "summer" season here right now (and there's no way I'd ever winter here.) The big difference here is that there is 0 humidity, so the dry cold doesn't seep in to your clothes and chill you. Most of October is pretty cold, the slide above is the weather report for the day I landed, and it's been ranging between -45 and up to about +5 right now with the wind chills. The last sunset was last night, so from here on out the sun will be sitting above the horizon. I can tell you that since I started coming here, the weather has changed significantly, it's gotten warmer faster and the ice gets thinner quicker, so there's your answer on global warming. In a few weeks here I'll be walking around in a fleece jacket and windbreaker and jeans....

No comments: