Sunday, March 8, 2009

Thailand

So the start of this trip was in LA, and when I got in, Jim picked me up along with Taryn who got in that same day so we had lunch together and hung out for a bit. I love seeing friends off the ice- it's so great. Taryn caught a train that day to head to San Diego, and Jim and I spent some time with his parents who had flown in to see him. We ran some errands, mostly hunting down drugs for me since I managed to get sick in the past few days and am fighting off the remnants of it still. We left LA and after 18 hours of flights, made it to Bangkok. Our flights were good- a little behind schedule because of bad weather at the Tokyo airport, but this was more than made up for by the fact that we got to go in to the lounge at the airport for the first flight- which was really nice! Then we got upgraded on our flight from Tokyo to Bangkok to business class- oh my goodness there was so much room to spread out- i just slept the whole way!! I think this has to do with our platinum status with American Airlines, I'm not sure, but I'm not asking either. :) We got to our hotel at 0200 in the morning after getting scammed by the taxi driver- oh well- lesson learned. There is no visa fee right now which I guess balances that out. :) Travel tip #1: for those of you coming here- take the metered taxi- and don't just hop in one that tells you he is metered- they are clearly marked on top of the car if they are metered or not. There are a few different companies- one is green and yellow, another is pink, another is red- we've used a couple and they all seem fine to me as long as they know where you are going. That's the hardest part- the language barrier- it makes me a little mentally exhausted by the end of the day, but we'll get there. Yesterday we just went and picked up a SIM card for my phone to get me a local number and then went and saw a movie- the Watchmen- which was pretty good. Wandered around a shopping center for a bit, and then came back to the hotel to take a nap and have dinner- well we took a nap- we never made it to dinner- and about 13 hours later we emerged to get breakfast and here I am at the computer now. I think we're caught up on some of our sleep now. Off to Chatuchak market today and maybe the Grand Palace. Pics to come as I take some... I may be posting and then uploading pics later.
Travel Tip #2: Stay at the Shanti Lodge in Bangkok- fantastic place- thanks to those who recommended it! Good food, and the staff mostly speak english and are super helpful! They can book most things for you- they took care of our train tickets to Ko Samui for us, and then we got out visa to Vietnam taken care of by them too- plan for 72 hours for the 2 day service since it won't get back to you til the evening of the 2nd day which you might be leaving before it arrives.
Trvel Tip #3: Get a business card with directions from the place you are staying at to give to your taxi driver when you need to get back to where you are staying- this makes it much easier as they rarely speak english.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful adventure. We can't wait to see what awaits you in the following weeks. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had to be sick - I caught something on my flight back, too. Keep those photos coming. (Probably the only way I'm ever going to see Asia!) Hi Jim! ... it's ME... YoYo!!