Saturday, March 21, 2009

A point about our US Healthcare system- or lack there of

I just had to make a quick comment about the mess that our US health care system is- I could go on and on about this, but here is a very short example of how grossly overcharged we are and how obscene the costs are...

I went to the Red Cross here in Bangkok today to finish up my Rabies Vaccinations. First, you should know that I started the series in New Zealand before coming here because the exchange rate in New Zealand was so good when I got off the Ice that I decided to go all in and had several shots done over a week- I did Yellow Fever, Rabies Shots 1 and 2, Typhoid, and a Polio Booster. Now these are not required to travel here, but they are recommended. The shots and doctor visits cost me a total of $250 USD, if I had done them stateside it would have cost me a minimum of $600 dependent on where I went and how much the office visit fee was.

So I thought I got a killer deal on these right?

Well, I went to get my shot at the Red Cross here today for the 3rd one in the Rabies series and the office visit fee was 20 baht- that's about 75 cents. While I was sitting and waiting for the doctor, I looked at the list on the wall of other shots they offered. The Japanese Encephalitis shot which would cost me about $250 per shot stateside, was 450 baht- that's about $13.
The Rabies shot was 350 baht- about $10 (this is $130 in the states.)
And the one that totally blew me away- last year I looked in to getting the Guardasil vaccine against HPV (it can cause cervical cancer)- When I priced this with the county health department and Planned Parenthood- the 2 places that would be the least expensive- it was $500 per shot, plus the office visits. The shot is about $100 here. This is also a series of 3 shots, so I had the first one done here and will be able to get the second before I leave. The third I'll have to take care of later, but as another separate travel tip- if you can wait to get any immunizations here, do.
Plan accordingly and several shots that are only 1 booster or 1 shot I would wait and have done here.

1 comment:

John & Britta said...

All I have to say is WOW!!!