Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Polar Plunge


The Polar Plunge is a psychotic tradition here in which a bunch of us off our rockers go and jump in to an ice hole that's been dug out in to the ocean at the edge of Scott Base (the New Zealand station over the hill from McMurdo). I've been here 5 seasons and this is my first time doing this! A bunch of us girl's went over during the girl's only time frame- the Kiwis at Scott Base were nice enough to ensure that they had female helpers and guards to ensure no men came to try and sneak a peak. So it was a great women bonding experience- and while I wasn't totally psyched about jumping in to the cold water- I'm glad I did it and can mark this off the list of things to do in life. I figure if I'm here I should take the opportunities!!


Here I am getting ready to jump in to the water. I was planning to do this in my underwear, but everyone else I went with did it in their birthday suits. So I did crack under the peer pressure (and it was all women- so the environment was pretty supportive- I was jumping with women of all ages which was a hoot!) But for your sake (and mine) I have left these images off of here. :) But for the record, I did actually do this in the buff, as it should be done if you're going to go ahead and do it. :)
I'm currently under the water thinking- huh- this isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Note- this might be because my body is undergoing a mild state of SHOCK!


This is me emerging from the water realizing- yes- now I am cold. And my body has started to realize what the heck is going on- get to the ladder, get to the ladder- get me outta this water!!!





I'm cold!!! Thank goodness that this ladder is wooden so I don't have a full body-"A Christmas Story"-stuck-to-a-metal-ladder problem. I think I almost asked this woman holding the blanket to marry me I was so grateful she was standing ready for me!

I'm so happy to be in the blanket, but now the nerves in my skin have started to register the cold and yes- its slightly painful- probably the worst pins-and-needles feeling you can imagine over my whole body!!



Oh yeah- still cold and trying to get to the warm-up hut. The lovely helper had to get the harness unhooked off of me while I'm cold. She was fast and efficient and I was so glad to have them all there to help support this event. I'm glad I did it- though I'm not sure this is something on my list of things to do again anytime soon!!




4 comments:

andrea said...

You are crazy! I'm not sure that will ever make my 'to-do' list! Glad you got it over with, though!

Kristin Lee said...

I think that jumping butt-naked into a big hole in the ice on the bottom of the planet makes slightly less sense than jumping out of a perfectly good airplane with a big sheet strapped to your back... but I also think it's freakin' awesome you did it!!!

Kristin Lee said...

PS... hot bod, Bebe!

The Tani Family said...

Kris I got to your blog through Britta's and Kristin's but it looks like you are still living life to the absolute fullest! That's awesome! Let me know if you ar ever back in town and we can get caught up again.
Emily (Stayner) Tani