Thursday, January 22, 2009

Jami's Back!!!!!

So I have to confess that I spent the first 9 days of this new year lying. But in my defense it was all for a good cause!! At the end of December it was decided that our department was going to bring in 2 more drivers, and since we ran out of other alternates, we ended up getting Jami- who worked here last year to PQ and come in last minute. She had been listed as an alternate but hadn't finished getting her paperwork in, so there was a last minute rush to get her cleared. My whole crew was excited that she might be able to get down, but Jami and I decided we would try to keep it a secret from everyone- so we lied. We told all the return crew that she didn't get cleared in time and that a different alternate was coming. I had to get in touch with so many people here that I think practically half the station knew- but I did manage to keep it a secret from my crew!! I even got in touch with housing to make sure that they didn't tell her roommate Taryn (who works for me as well and is friends with Jami) and had to talk to her roommates to tell them to keep it a secret too! A few people almost slipped and told the crew, but I just kept making things up and telling them that the information was a mistake and that Jami wasn't coming and that someone else was. So Jami arrived 1/9/09 and it was such a great surprise!! The week before I had watched the Sex in the City movie with Taryn and we laughed when all the women scream each time they see one another and said "no one really screams like that." But sure enough, when Jami showed up I was so excited to see her that I came running out of the van towards her and she had to brace herself for my hug- and low-and-behold, I actually made all the girly scream noises that I didn't think anyone ever made! Then we got on the radio and called Audrey and told her someone had a message for her- and Jami got on the radio- Audrey was so excited she was screaming over the radio (she threatened to kill me for keeping the secret and apparently almost drove off the road in her moment of surprise :) and then several others of the drivers got on the radio to say hi and welcome back as well. We called in Taryn since it was her day off, and drove by the dorm while she was walking up the hill towards work to pick her up, and Jami opened the van door to ask if she needed a ride- and sure enough- Taryn screamed too!!! It was a really great surprise and I'm so glad we were able to pull it off- it was a boost to everyone here!! Welcome back Jami!!!!! I'm glad I don't have to lie anymore- it was too much pressure!!

No comments: