Monday, December 1, 2008

Me and My Penguin Buddy

















On the last trip I led out to Cape Evans and the Ice Caves I was lucky enough to run in to this little guy. He was wandering along the road that goes from Cape Evans back to McMurdo near the icebergs that are frozen in the sea ice. The sad part is that typically when you find a lone penguin, it is because they are sick and do not tend to last very long out on there own. Never the less, it's a rare and special glimpse of some of the wildlife that we hope to be able to encounter whilst here in the land of frozen ice.

3 comments:

John & Britta said...

oh cute penguin! I'm sure it didn't quack at you although John may say otherwise. Katie loves being outside even in the cold, she just might go to Antarctica one day like aunt Kris.

Anonymous said...

AAAAACCCKKKK! Don't do that to me!!! I want to rush out and adopt him, left all alone. Its the mothering instinct! You know how we ended up with Berkeley!

Mom

Unknown said...

A PENGUIN!!! Yeah :) I was very excited to happen upon this picture!