Friday, November 21, 2008

Observation Hill


Cross at the top with a view of the Ice shelf and Royal Societies (Transantarctic Mountains)


Mt. Erebus in the background



Jim and I at the cross



View of Erebus and Castle Rock



View out over the ice shelf, McMurdo to the bottom right



It's my season of "firsts" this year and I'm loving every minute of it. It seems that no matter how many times one comes to the Ice, there's always more to see and do. My friends are getting me out for some of them, and on this past Sunday I hiked Ob Hill with my good friend Jim for the first time. We had a beautiful day, even though it was a little windy, but clear skies as far as the eye could see. The view was awesome, and it's so nice to take a moment to remind myself of what an amazing place I'm at and how lucky I am to be here. Pictures of the view and being on top. The cross is a historic monument erected in January 1913 to commemorate Captain Scott and his party who died on their return journey from the South Pole in march of 1912.


Observation Hill is right on the edge of McMurdo, and it's a steep climb to the top. Coming back down was fun, there's still some snow on the hill, so it was easier to sit and slide for portions of it rather than trying to walk.


Thanks Jim for getting me out to do this!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Incredible opportunities! Not many can say they've done that!
And I love the cross -- good reminders all over the world. :)