Sunday, February 1, 2009

Marathon Support 2009- Antarctica Style

There is a marathon held every year on the ice and the runners run along the snow roads that go out towards the airfields. I helped to coordinate all the vehicle support for this event this season, which was held on 1/18. I also went out and drove around to help monitor the runners as well. I had a great time! The day was really beautiful weather, no wind which was key. A couple people that work for me ran as well so it was fun to cheer them on.
This is everyone getting ready to depart town for the race.



Here is the start of the race- that's Jim with the stopwatch yelling to get ready. He was the main guy organizing everything for the race along with help from a few people.


.
And they're off!! The start of the full marathon.

This is the start of the full marathon right before they took off. The runners are to the left, and the skiers are to the right. That's me in my green coat all the way to the left taking pics. I like my green coat- it's easy to find me in pictures. :) There were about 20 people for the full marathon.



The start of the half-marathon. I had to explain the route and get them all ready for the countdown to the start, so I didn't have my camera for the start line. But this is looking at all of them taking off in to the distance.

Scott Base had some people participate as well so they provided some support too. This is a Hagglund which is a tracked vehicle that pulls a separate cab for additional passengers.



After I spent a few hours driving around in a van to help monitor, I switched out and got on to the skidoo with Jim to help run around and monitor the runners. It was a fun time!




Again, without the green coat- wouldn't have a clue that's me inside that helmet. :)



YEAH JEN!!! Jen works for me and she ran the full marathon and she won every category she was in- first place for the women and over 40!!! She's awesome! We found a banana and got to her on the skidoo during the race to give it to her- you've never seen someone so excited for a banana!


YEAH PINKY!!! This is Chris that works for me- we had to give him a nickname so that we wouldn't get confused in the office and his friend sent this box addressed to Chris "Pinky" S. It was hilarious and it stuck! He skied the full marathon! This is him at the end of it before getting on the delta to come back to town.


It was a long day- we were out supporting the race for about 9 hours, but it was a really good time. I really enjoyed getting out and cheering people on. I even got a t-shirt from it- though I feel a little bit like a fraud if I wear it since I didn't actually run it- and I don't think it counts that I did the length of it a few times over on a skidoo!

No comments: