Thursday, May 7, 2009

Weaving 101





We've been in Vientiane, the capital city of Laos, for a few days, and I spent the first 2 of them at then Houey Hong Vocational Training Center for Women learning how to weave.
This scarf took me 2 days of blood, sweat and tears to make- okay, there was no tears- though my butt hurt enough from sitting on that wood bench to almost cause some, and there was no blood- though I poked myself with a pin a few times in the process, but there was sweat- it's hot here. So this is my first woven piece- a scarf that's about 6 feet long (plus some with the fringe) and it's made from silk- and the threads were just that- threads, which is why it took 2 days. :)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I've seen that done in movies and kinda always wanted to try. Looks fun!

Mom said...

Love it! You know I think that crafting blood from the family does run in your veins... :)
Love ya - Mom

Jen & Dean said...

What a lovely way to spend a couple of days. You are one lucky lady!

The Tani Family said...

You get to do he funnest things, even if it does kill your butt! My hip bones kill me for other reasons! Live it up!